Bothal Primary School, Lower School
Building Work – Health & Safety Briefing for Parents
15th April, 2018
Welcome back. I hope you have all enjoyed the Easter break, despite the rainy weather.
Those of you who live local to Bothal Primary Lower School may have noticed that the site has been a hive of activity during the Easter break. As you may be aware, the heating boilers at the lower school site have been somewhat temperamental over the last few years; however, I am delighted to inform you that we have been successful in a substantial bid to secure funding in order to replace them. The builders have been incredibly busy and we hope that all necessary work will be completed in approximately 5 weeks’ time. I am keen to maintain as much normality for our pupils during this time with as little disruption to their school day as possible. We have worked with the contractors, Kirkland’s, a number of times and have spent a significant amount of time planning their work to ensure that it fits around the needs of the school. All Kirkland’s staff have DBS certificates. In order to ensure that the highest standards of safeguarding are maintained during the planned period of building work, please read the following health and safety briefing: (Please can you ensure that a copy is also shared with anyone on your child’s permitted collection list)
- Please take extra care when accessing and leaving the school site and ensure that you and your child(ren) stick to designated routes.
- Whilst we do not envisage that any contractors will operate on site at the start /end of the school day, it is likely that the traffic on Wansbeck Road will be more congested than usual as vehicles wait to access the site. Where possible, please park in the old Ashington Leisure Centre car park and walk to school. I have ensured that staff at the upper school site are aware that building work is taking place at the lower school site and this may add time on to typical journeys between the school sites. We will ensure that this is accounted for.
- As it stands, generators and fan heaters are in place and the temperature of the building is operating at the correct level. If this changes, I will ensure that parents are informed so that you can send your child in to school in appropriate clothing.
Parents of Children in Key Stage 1
- Key Stage 1 classrooms are not directly affected by the building work
- If your child is in Miss Deal’s class, please can you drop off and collect on the Reception yard, as access through their normal door on the Key Stage 1 yard is not available. Miss Deal’s door can be located on the right – hand side of yard next to the main school entrance. Please be mindful that Reception children also enter and leave through this door and therefore staff will ensure that appropriate time is taken to enable all children to enter and leave safely.
- Please ensure that your child is supervised at all times on the Key Stage 1 yard at the start and end of the school day. A generator has been set-up on the yard with railings to cordon this area off. Please ensure that your child does not run around this area (including accessing the outdoor classroom behind the cordon) attempt to climb or put their hand etc. through the railings. A coned walkway past the generator is in place, please ensure that you and your child stick to the designated route.
Parents of Children in Reception
- The Reception classrooms and yard are not directly affected by the building work.
Parents of children in Nursery
- If your child is in Mrs Elliott’s class, they will be unable to access nursery via their normal door. Please DO NOT enter the car park. Instead, parents/carers should access nursery via Miss Milburn’s door. This is located through the gate next to the car park (with a brightly coloured fence)
As a larger number of parents will be leaving and entering through this door than normal, please can we ask that:
- All parents wait on the path within the school grounds and not on the path outside of the school gates to ensure that children are away from the main road
- Keep children away from the car park gate as vehicles may be moving
- Please ensure that your child holds your hand or is under your close supervision at all times whist entering and leaving the setting
- Do not allow children to play on the grassed area whilst waiting to attend nursery due to the number of people who will be utilising this area
- Allow staff time to hand over children without crowding the doorway
Parents of Children in 2-Year Olds
Whilst our 2-year-old setting is open as normal, the access route to the setting and outdoor play provision will be limited during the time of the building work.
- Please DO NOT enter the car park at any time unless supervised by a member of school staff.
- To access the 2-year-old setting, please access the school via the gate next to the car park and wait in this area until a member of staff greets you and your child.
- Please ensue that you and your child wait within the school grounds and not on the path outside of the school gates.
- Please keep children away from the car park gate as vehicles may be moving
- Please ensure that your child holds your hand or is under your close supervision at all times whist waiting in this area.
- Do not allow children to play on the grassed area whilst waiting to attend 2 year olds due to the number of people who will be utilising this area
- Once a member of staff has met you and your child, they will walk you to the 2 year old setting via your normal route (through the car park and play area) Please ensure that you stick to designated coned area at all times. Please do not allow your child to utilise any of the play equipment beyond the coned area.
- If you are late for your session, please do not attempt to enter the car park walk way. Please head to the main school entrance via the school yard and staff will be more than happy to take you and your child along to the setting.
Parents Collecting Children from 30 Hours Provision
- Please follow the instructions listed above for nursery parents, if your child attends Mrs Elliott’s morning nursery session. There are no changes for Miss Milburn’s groups.
- During the initial stages of the work, 30 hours provision will be relocated to the Early Years, Reception wing of the school. Therefore to collect your child, please do not attempt to access the school via the car park, instead access the school yard via the main gate and head towards the main entrance. To the right of the main entrance you will be see a door labelled 30 hours collection point.
Thank you in advance for your support in ensuring that things run as smoothly as possible over the next few weeks. Whilst additional arrangements for access to the site etc. have been made, please be rest assured that changes to your child’s classroom provision are minimal (if anything in many cases). All children will be briefed each day so that they know what work is happening in their school and how to keep themselves safe around the site.
Please do not worry if you are unsure about any of the aspects raised in this letter, as school staff will be available on the yard to help with directions/queries etc. over the coming days. I will send you regular updates as the work progresses and look forward to working with you all during the summer term.
Miss L. Hall
Head of School